Friday, July 17, 2009

They Should: M.I.A & Gwen Stefani


I'll easily admit I have a thing for musicians, like a huge thing, especially singers. There is something about the seductive voices coming from the tantalizing lips that just drives me wild. Mmmmhmmm. Anyhoo, now, you've seen why the lovely female vocalists of yesteryear should get in on, but I think its time I hussel and bring it to the present starting with the best Interscope Records has to offer; M.I.A and Gwen Stefani.
Lets start with the brown sugar Tamil tigress herself, Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam. Aside from her smash hit single “Paper Planes” little is actually known about this multi talented and politically motivated artista. Born in good old London England to Kala and Arul Pragasm, M.I.A is of Tamil Sri Lankan descent, and quickly moved back to her familial country of origin at the tender age of six months. Her father, motivated by his wish to support the Tamil militancy in Sri Lanka, became a political activist, adopting the name “Arular”, and was a founding member of a political Tamil group that worked to establish an independent Tamil Eelam. On the political nature of her work she has said, "I have to be true to that--I can't take certain things away. I do have a political background. I’m only in England, learning this language and building a life in this society, because of political reasons. Why would I deny that?" M.I.A. has talked about the fusion of politics into her music. "Nobody wants to be dancing to political songs. Every bit of music out there that’s making it into the mainstream is really about nothing. I wanted to see if I could write songs about something important and make it sound like nothing. And it kind of worked." If you follow M.I.A you'll have noticed that both of her albums are titled after her parents. Initially, Arulpragasm went to film school, directing music videos and filming many documentaries. According to M.I.A herself, she was encouraged by the electroclash artist Peaches to try the medium in which she felt the least comfortable; music. And boy am I glad she dared. Wow, hmm, she's so talented, I think I'm actually more into her as a person. Weird.
Anyhoo, onto the rock hard ska punk diva, the beautiful blonde bombshell herself, Gwen Renée Stefani. Now this woman is so damn fine it is ridiculous. Like have you seen those abs? I would not mind washing in her old bathwater. Seriously.
Anyway, Originally a ska queen Gwen was signed to Interscope in 1991 with the band No Doubt. Unfortunately a ska band in the era of grunge didn't do so well, so the first self titled album failed miserably. No Doubt's 3rd album, Tragic Kingdom, was almost their last when Stefani and bandmate Tony Kanal ended their relationship (to get with me. Luckily, the group stayed together, and the relationship (and subsequent break-up) provided lyrical inspiration for hits like “Don't Speak” and “Sunday Morning”. The band moved into more new wave territory with the less successful, but more personal to Stefani, “Return To Saturn”. This super hot Californian is also responsible for the first million downloaded song “Hollaback Girl”. I will say though I appreciated the frequent skimpy nature of the costumes during her solo career, I'm glad she's finally doing a reunion tour.
Besides the similarity of both being signed to Interscope Records, these women share one more common ground. Drumroll please. They both have children and are therefore MILFS! HURRAH! So if their crazy hotness isn't enough, then that should tip it over the edge. In short these two ladies should take time off of their busy recording schedules and JUST MAKE OUT.